1933 The Book

Written 1933, published in Leaves 2, 1938.

Opening Statement:
     My memories are very confused. There is even much doubt as to where they begin; for at times I feel appalling vistas of years stretching behind me, while at other times it seems as if the present moment were an isolated point in a grey, formless infinity. I am not even certain how I am communicating this message. While I know I am speaking, I have a vague impression that some strange and perhaps terrible mediation will be needed to bear what I say to the points where I wish to be heard. My identity, too, is bewilderingly cloudy. I seem to have suffered a great shock- perhaps from some utterly monstrous outgrowth of my cycles of unique, incredible experience.  
What in Brown Jenkin's Name..?
Reading is the doorway to other worlds.
Synopsis:
     The confused narrator describes a book which reveals secret formulae to him. The formulae describe methods of transportation to other realms. Leaving the creepy bookstore, he studies the book and begins to see other realms mixed in with reality. At one point he looks down on a dark landscape with a square, stone building standing in it. 
Essential Saltes:
     I remember the night I made the five concentric circles of fire on the floor, and stood in the innermost one chanting that monstrous litany the messenger from Tartary had brought. The walls melted away, and I was swept by a black wind through gulfs of fathomless grey with the needle-like pinnacles of unknown mountains miles below me. After a while there was utter blackness, and then the light of myriad stars forming strange, alien constellations. Finally I saw a green-litten plain far below me, and discerned on it the twisted towers of a city built in no fashion I had ever known or read or dreamed of. As I floated closer to that city I saw a great square building of stone in an open space, and felt a hideous fear clutching at me.
From Dr. Armitage's Notes:
  • An unpublished story fragment, probably incomplete, although includes cross-dimensional concepts such as was featured in "The Dreams in the Witch House".

The Horrible Conclusion:
     I screamed and struggled, and after a blankness was again in my attic room sprawled flat over the five phosphorescent circles on the floor. In that night's wandering there was no more of strangeness than in many a former night's wandering; but there was more of terror because I knew I was closer to those outside gulfs and worlds than I had ever been before. Thereafter I was more cautious with my incantations, for I had no wish to be cut off from my body and from the earth in unknown abysses whence I could never return... 

Read it here.

Follow'd by "The Evil Clergyman"